A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)

Go down 
+15
Evedas
Alexandria1
Dame Rivatha Thunion
Mesor
Arcanum
Alexander
Sir Vinson
Laisha
Ser Varys
Sigwald
Mordred
Psychozoa
Isabel Tenorio
Pravenstern
Jing Ming
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty02.03.13 5:58

Are there any aspects of the RP that you guys feel are insufficient? There are still things we know about (like the fighting styles!) but if there is something else.. feel free to either post it, or PM the GM you like best.

(/crossfingers It's gotta be me, right?!)
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys

Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty02.03.13 15:14

It might just be me, but I'd like some sort of thread that wraps up information on what happened in an event so far. I know whenever I start a new RP, I usually feel overwhelmed when they tell me to jump right in an event, and with some events that I remember (*cough* council *cough*) the amount of replies someone has to read is astronomical and some people might be discouraged/turned off from that. It'll be easier to manage and add on to when you're updating it every few days instead of every end of event IMO.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty02.03.13 16:45

That's the kind of thing I might be able to do. I'll try to post a potential format and example for the pre-event and Winds of the West tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 7:32

Initial version of the fighting styles are up. Here a brief description:

Fighting styles: Are free. If you have the requisites, you may receive them simply by posting an IC story of how you got it on the Tavern board.
Mind you that these are permanent and imply an absolute dedication to the style’s principles, philosophy and weapon choices (e.g. you can’t follow Barclay Fencing and Mettenheim Style at the same time).

You may also suggest new ones. Requisites are that it is different from the existing, not associated with a single order, and not OP.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 7:52

What about assigning fighting styles to troops? Would it be op to give it to them for free? maybe include training for additional influence?

Edit: By the way, good job! amazingly done!
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 8:09

I suggest no fighting styles for generic troops.

Adventurers are another matter, but we've not settled the matter of giving them traits in general yet. Fighting styles would be related to traits, soo... we need to discuss that matter again!
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 8:21

Adventurers and special troops who fit fighting style, for example Forlorn hope right?
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 8:39

I´ll have to use my veto for the first time and say no. Fighting styles are very personal things and were added mostly to improve RP. In initial drafts they didn't even have combat bonuses.

Troops cannot have fighting styles. They were already trained in your order's tactics and doctrine, so adopting a minor ideology is too much for their simple heads. If they could do it, they wouldn't be following you.

Disciples are chosen on an individual basis, and also taught individually or in a small group. There aren't many of them around, and masters of each style can be counted on one's fingers. Moreover, and more importantly: it would be very difficult for us GMs to track everything without making mistakes.

That said, I'm looking forward to the RP of the encounter between two enemy players that follow the same fighting school!
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:06

/uselesspost

I like the Barclay school. Razz

/enduselesspost
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:15

I do too. I've just created a secret character that's also a master in that style.

You should thank Mordred, he boosted the Barclay style and made it actually interesting.

Funny note: Barclay school was called "Kiergard style" in my first version of this.
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:22

Shadow fits perfect my character, and the ebony gloves. I guess i am gonna rework background story of Ebony gloves to involve Shadow school to it, is that okay?
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:25

Ok. Just keep in mind that Shadow style must also have something to do with the Shadow Legion and Eventide. The Gauntlet was in only due to its brief association with the Snake Cult.

You can argue that one of the Pendorian shadowmasters was more bent to Gauntlet ideology, and helped the Ebony Gloves with their
stuff.

Apart from that, feel free to develop the story and details of that style at will!
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:47

Another preview: Iron Will, Unflappable, and mental traumas will become relevant for the RP.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:52

So since I have the big mean looking morningstar, would that discount me from the diamond school?

Or do i have creative license to try and make something.
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:57

You can throw that one away and pick a smaller one for free Very Happy

Since fighting styles didn't exist when you created your character, I see no problem with that kind of change.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 9:57

I would say you can, so long as you can demonstrate how you have evolved the use of the morning star towards the Diamond Style - just my impression of the system, Jing Ming has the final word on that though.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 10:15

An important note on fighting styles: Characters can only ever have one style. This means if you intend to create a custom style upon reaching Legendary Weapon, then you shouldn't select a style now. In theory character should already be honing their own style while they are a good/exceptional/master swordsman... they just aren't awesome with it yet.

So to recap, if you intend to create a custom fighting style, but have not yet reached legendary, do not take one of the other styles.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 10:18

So being Legendary swordsmen, I and Varys (perhaps others?) coud start to create our personal styles right now if we wanted to?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 10:21

Yes. GM approval is still necessary.

Jing Ming and Mordred are the brains behind this, sooo... don't bring it up with me unless you want a referral to one of them! Wink
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 10:24

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 10:40

I guess I'll develop my own type of smash and bash with bigger crushing weapons Very Happy

Sounds fun!
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys

Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 11:04

Pravenstern wrote:

Yes Very Happy

Dance of the Obsidian Snake, here I come!
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 11:10

Ser Varys wrote:
I'm so looking forward to that one!

I'll have to think of a Sangendal style.. mixing barclay with something else perhaps? Luckily I have some time until Aelos reaches Legendary. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 11:20

Ser Varys wrote:
Pravenstern wrote:

Yes Very Happy

If I got that right, our styles will most likely be very similiar. So, you fancy a duel?
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys

Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty05.03.13 16:40

At dawn!

(Maybe, it'll involve a shield for now)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next