A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)

Go down 
+15
Evedas
Alexandria1
Dame Rivatha Thunion
Mesor
Arcanum
Alexander
Sir Vinson
Laisha
Ser Varys
Sigwald
Mordred
Psychozoa
Isabel Tenorio
Pravenstern
Jing Ming
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty
PostSubject: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty08.02.13 10:29

Discuss them here.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty12.02.13 3:01

Everyone, please note that Adventurer gives you only five traits!
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 5:59

How do you all feel about the Foreigner trait as it is?
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 6:10

I don't think it should be a trait that you need a slot for. It is just something that you are from the beginning of your life and not something you choose to be on the way...
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 6:17

Agreed
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 6:30

I think you should as well think about the height of your character, Size was an important matter in the medieval times where much was decided by force. Being huge normally means you are strong and small means you are weak. On another note, a lot of strength(big muscles) should affect your speed and stamina (just think about Sir Arduin).
We could make 3 nuances here: Athletic(the normal Soldier), Bulky and Huge (if someone wants to play a merchant or diplomat we could extend below athletic

Athletic: can lift 10kg 50 times Bulky: can lift 20kg 20 Times Huge: can lift 50kg 7 times

If you do the math the athletic one seems to win at first glance, but if the Huge one hits some of his few blows he will win

just some thoughts
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 7:46

Do lances count as one handed or two-handed weapons?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 7:48

1 handed, only usable when mounted.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 9:00

A few updates:

1) Warlord now simply gives the traits of 'good' proficiency in ALL weapons. Warlords will also have the usual 3 free traits.

2) Foreigner is now a free trait. Obviously, only characters of a culture foreign to Pendor should have it. >.>

3) Large Shields are not usable while mounted.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 15:45

The list of Order troops and their equipment has been updated slightly.

Dragons no longer have a lance.

Radiant Cross Knights are now based on the PoP4 version. They carry polehammers and crossbows on foot. So... they're basically super Gauntlets. tongue

Edit: Scratch that last part. Radiant Cross Knights don't have crossbows. Their retainers, the Plaguewardens, do.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:25

/triplepost

I just wanted to highlight that with the trait system bad things can happen to characters. Scars, wounds, crippling injuries, and even death. Largely those latter two will be the result of something excessively bold/stupid. We'll be conservative with those types of things, but they're a very real part of gaining renown and new traits.
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:28

Isabel Tenorio wrote:
and even death.

This is why I'm giving my knights a name and 'character', just in case Aelos dies and I can't quickly create a younger brother or uncle. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:38

Suddenly, I'm very afraid that some of my plans will have to be scrapped.
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:39

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:43

Quietly puts away his Mangonel... damn, I was taking flying lessons for that...
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:45

LOL!

A crippled leg would be all for that, Mordred...

For those that don't know: In the original events in Aftermath a Gauntlet used a ballista to launch himself over the wall of a city. He suffered only a broken leg. Astraea, or Erida Occisor, found it far too amusing to let him die.

Edit!

What do you think should be done with regards to dual weapons?
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 5:49

Re-roll failed skill roll when attacking?
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys

Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 6:09

I like the addition of +1 speed to account for the extra attack
Back to top Go down
Laisha

Laisha

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 6:15

Isabel Tenorio wrote:
We'll be conservative with those types of things, but they're a very real part of gaining renown and new traits.

...Wait, who's we?

THE BLOOD MUST FLOW. ...Or the bones. Depends entirely on the nature of the injury.
Back to top Go down
http://gamingnnerdery.blogspot.com/
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 6:18

My suggestion would be to have two types;

Additional one handed weapon +1 speed, +50% defence skill in melee (they allow for quicker attacks and better faints)

Main Gauche (parrying dagger), re-roll failed melee defence, +50% defence skill in melee (they are excellent for blocking melee attacks).

Bear in mind that they need to be balanced with shields which allow a failed defence re-roll (ranged and melee) and protect from horse archers.
Back to top Go down
Sir Vinson

Sir Vinson

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 7:44

It should be a separate trait as effectively using two weapons is very difficult. If it gives both offensive and defensive bonuses when trained it should be tiered as well or split into two different traits.

i.e. Finesse as a prerequisite in order to have Dual Wielding. Or possibly multiple levels of dual wielding. Dual Wielding I gives +1 Sp but -1 Sk on offhand attacks/defenses. II gives +1 Sp and no penalties. III gives +1 Sp and +1 to offhand attacks/defense.

Something on those lines.
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 11:44

My thoughts:

Dual Welding should require two traits: Ambidexterity and Two Weapon Fighting

Both weapons should also take up equipment slots (like how the sword and shield do).

Both weapons may be upgraded, and their stats either stack, or result in two attack rolls (One for each).

If the weapons are of two categories, of course they will require two skill groups to use (IE: Good Swordsman and Good Knifefighter).

And I agree with Mordred that it should either be offensive or defensive, but perhaps have which specific style chosen by the player with the trait? Rather than based on the weapon. My thoughts are based on an offensive style.

Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 12:30

I repsectfully disagree about ambidexterity being needed to wield two weapons. While it would certainly help, I don't think you need to be naturally talented enough to write your name simultaneously on 2 pieces of paper to use two blades effectively.

Maybe it could be a bonus though towards that style, like how being strong might have a bonus to shield bashing and two handed weaponry.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 12:40

I think Alexander meant to use effectively rather than as a pre-requisite. I am guessing this because AD&D uses those very terms for their two dual wield feats.
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty18.02.13 12:47

Actually, no, I had meant as a prerequisite.

It was more in an attempt to offset the benefits of it. Like how more steps were added to Sword Fighting to get to legendary.

However, since the model I presented didn't have flat bonuses to combat like the Sword Fighting traits do, having levels of the trait didn't make as much sense.

You do need to train a certain level of ambidexterity to be able to use two weapons at the level of skill the pendor warriors fight at. If you would prefer a more toned down "Cross Dominence" trait too that would work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next