A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)

Go down 
+15
Evedas
Alexandria1
Dame Rivatha Thunion
Mesor
Arcanum
Alexander
Sir Vinson
Laisha
Ser Varys
Sigwald
Mordred
Psychozoa
Isabel Tenorio
Pravenstern
Jing Ming
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Sigwald

Sigwald

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty19.10.13 9:03

Jing Ming wrote:
Quote :
The aristocracy might not like it, but some of the lesser lords could also embrace it in an attempt to gain some power (it's a shadow war, after all).
This is already happening, and if you haven't put the clues together yet, you soon will.
I always seem to conceive 'clues' different than the Admins do, so I'll wait to see. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty20.10.13 1:23

Quote :
Also a quick link to draw inspiration from: http://books.google.nl/books?id=f769tE97hxYC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=true

For the Gauntlets there's an interesting part about a 'duelling gauntlet' (Manopala da Presa) with which the opponents blade was blocked or grabbed, instead of the parrying with the sword.
I actually like this idea, and i think it would fit my character well, maybe we could use it as a version of shield? "Reroll failed defence" seems logical enough, + we could have another bonus(for example you can dual wield, but drop second weapons and use gauntlet without any loss of speed) and a disatvantage that you can't reroll failed defences versus ranged.
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty20.10.13 2:12

Rivatha Thunion wrote:
I actually like this idea, and i think it would fit my character well, maybe we could use it as a version of shield?
I think that it should be very hard to master and probably requires a prestige/renown payment. (If Jing Ming decides to implement something like that)
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 3:47

There has been talk about doing something between event's if i remember correctly, so i wanted clarify, can i send my gloves to find information about raven spear or prophesy trough criminal background? Of course i am not expecting to break the storyline, but chance of getting some sort of information would be nice that i could use in my advantage would be nice.

Also i think there could be other options to do something during event like having 1-2 points you can spend on training weapon skill, while leveling up your weapon skill purely from that would be to much, it would act like a bonus in further mission(basically you need to do less next mission, in order to achieve level up). Also what about even sending your character for special missions which could have variable results(very little roleplay, pure calculations.) Improving your order's station in some region, finding item, earning a bit of renown but it could also end in negative situation, losing some troops or your order losing it's reputation.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 3:57

That was largely going to be handled by the 'take an action' part. Basically, everyone could decide what their character (and warband) were going to do in the time between events. Earn a skill, fight in tournaments for renown, scheme in another court, etc etc. There would have been minimal-to-no RP involved unless you wish to write a short story about your own PC's deeds. It was initially just a way to recapture some of the openness of the RP that was traded for having a central story instead, without having to sacrifice any of that story.

I suppose we could still do that, if there is a near-consensus on potentially delaying the start of Event 2 until we determine the fair outcome of each action.
Back to top Go down
Laisha

Laisha

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 4:31

I don't really see an overriding need to rush the beginning of the second event if there are things to be done. It strikes me as an arbitrary goal to start, particularly before we get anyone's personal character deeds out of the way.
Back to top Go down
http://gamingnnerdery.blogspot.com/
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 7:32

It is an arbitrary start date, moving it back is easy... it's just a question of which activity people want more: The take-an-action or starting the next event.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 8:08

Do you mean the debriefings going on in the chapter strongholds?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 10:06

Those are on-going, and presumably will conclude in a few days. The question is: Do you want to do the 'take an action' thing now?
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 10:07

I wouldn't be opposed to it provided its explained what that means.
Back to top Go down
Methodius Marci

Methodius Marci

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 11:27

how will the "take an action" thing work if we are not done with our chapter house meeting? I was thinking of joining a tournament, maybe bet renown on myself and fail miserably.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 12:10

It's fairly simple (which means horridly complex >.>)

Decide what your character will do, using only the resources they currently possess. Then we'll determine the outcome, the more mundane the greater the chance of success. It's... pretty open. We'll probably have to roll dice for success, within a certain range depending on complexity. Betting/risking renown is optional.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 12:20

Oh I get it.

It's basically a "whatever action we want" but if we try to go find Elecrai or summon Eyegrimm or something else insanely difficult/probably impossible we have a good chance of wasting it.

While if we go get drunk at the pub and buy a treasure map/something not as difficult/potentially lifethreatening respectively we have a better chance of it succeeding.
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty27.10.13 20:35

Okay, so in what thread do we do that?
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty28.10.13 1:20

Rivatha Thunion wrote:
Okay, so in what thread do we do that?
I'd like to add something to that by requesting that it's made public. So, for example, when Sigwald slays a Dragon..it would be known among the other Orders.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty28.10.13 2:15

It will be private at first, and afterwards the appropriate ones will be public. Some may wish to carry on the shadow war, after all!

As an example, if Seleucia were taking such an action, she would sail her galley to the Ishkoman region and go pirating. Then we'd have to roll to determine her success, and award a portion of renown, or an item.

Post in your Chapterhouses for now, create a new thread titled Inter-Event Actions, please.
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty08.11.13 8:09

What maximum rank in order PC could possibly have? Let's say i want to RP Rivatha's rise in power in order and now she is an ordinary knight, up to where could i go?

Also does 'wealthy' trait allow you to bribe someone without requering RP?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty08.11.13 15:59

Second question first: Wealthy allows you to attempt bribes without spending renown, among other things. (This is limited mostly by the mutual imagination of yourself and the relevant GM.)

First question second: Each Order has 3 ranks available to PCs from the start. Then we have the Grandmaster (never PC accessible, least of all because it usually doesn't make sense for the grandmaster to be in the field), followed by the second in command (Legate for the Shadow Legion, Paladin for the Dawn, Marshal for the Griffons, etc.) which are currently not available to PCs but are not wholly off the table for now. After those two ranks there are the more general offices within each Order that, for the most part, haven't been defined. It's conceivable that a PC might acquire such an office, although they are likely to not be held by a PC in every Order. For example, a Dawnite might become a member of the Circle of Radiant Light (the council of the Dawn that includes all of the high officers, like the Paladin and Steward, etc.) As of now, no PCs hold such offices and none are in the running for becoming second in command. Acquiring some leadership office is fully on the table, but the path to them are not defined. Second in command is 'not off of the table' but not entirely on the table either.

That is probably just rambling, so the more concise answer is: We've talked about the implications and possibility of PCs becoming higher ranking members of their Orders, but not settled on what might be the most beneficial. So on that note, what do you think about it?
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty08.11.13 20:00

I say "second in command" should be a trait. It is would be buyable with RP, but would need some other conditions to be met(I am not really sure, but for example there is no way Rivatha could become second in command right now, it just isn't logical at this point.)

What trait does? Maybe a some free knights/+command level/Increased influence on various NPC's/unique set of equipment. Any combination of those.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty08.11.13 20:36

Well, for the Radiant Cross since our Grandmaster and most of the order is in Amala, I don't see why a PC couldn't become the head of our order after a time.

Though this seems a very limited to the Cross example.
Back to top Go down
Laisha

Laisha

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty09.11.13 3:54

Well, the cross still has a hierarchy in Pendor....
Back to top Go down
http://gamingnnerdery.blogspot.com/
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty09.11.13 6:45

The Cross has an official in Pendor, and functions a the Grandmaster. IE, playing politics when necessary and serving in an administrative capacity. We just never named the office... feel free to plot about it in your Chapterhouse. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Methodius Marci

Methodius Marci

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty13.11.13 15:54

is there a troop cap btw? and if there is, is it related to a trait?(like command for example)
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty14.11.13 3:24

There isn't a cap yet. 20-30 will be the maximum, but for the moment it seems unlikely that anyone will be on the upper end of that.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty16.11.13 12:37

I have one suggestion regarding troop limit!

I think we should change the rating of troops. Right it seems that everyone is buying Knights which will make battles if they occur just Order Knights against Order Knights...which seems boring.

One thing to counteract this would be to give Soldiers are higher command point rating than based on their stats...

eg: each order Knight, Adventurer, Veccavian Knight, ..., cost 2 Command points per unit

each retainer Costs 1 Command Point

heroes (if such exists) cost 5 Command points

this way armys would be more mixed and it would keep players from just rushing Order Knights

discuss
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)   A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Kingdom Divided : Rules and game mechanics (Discussion)
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next