A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Renown Discussion

Go down 
+11
Sir Vinson
Arcanum
Mesor
Sir Lucius
Pravenstern
Psychozoa
Jing Ming
Sigwald
Mordred
Ser Varys
Isabel Tenorio
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 5:58

It would definitely cost all of the starting renown. It's like taking a village, ship, or anything else above the starting renown. The reasoning for it must also be present in the bio, not that such should be a hindrance to a RPer.
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:01

Mordred wrote:
or take a "Scion of House X" trait.

What's that? Have I missed it somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:04

It isn't listed. The traits list is only a guide, not an exclusive list. I'm not entirely sure what Scion of House X would provide beyond Mordred's idea of allowing the purchase of a Masterwork sword to start with. We already have Noble which would make most other nobles favorable towards the PC. I suppose that would be up to the player's creativity, like most other traits.

(Personally, I love Lucius Maximian's pyromaniac trait. >.>)
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:09

Aah alright, well, I guess my starting renown goes to a sword. (I take it the light armour is still free?)
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:11

Will the weapon upgrades and horse-effects be upgraded to the Character Creation -thread too?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:13

Aelos- PCs begin with either Light, Medium, or Heavy armor. Upgrading it will cost renown.

Pravenstern- Yes, we'll get to that one today.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:16

Oops! I realize the problem.

The One handed weapon and light armor are not extra free items. I've removed those references. PCs begin with 1 weapon of their choice... one handed or two handed, light, medium or heavy armor, a courser horse, and 50 Renown.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:27

Alright, I have updated my bio according to these changes.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:36

do we have 50 renown or 20 renown from the start? in the rules and game mechanics thread it's 20
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:37

It should be 50 now, sorry.

We have too many threads with duplicate information. >.>
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:48

could I not take the 10 retainers and 5 Knights of my order to take the 5 Adventurers. With the equipment I want for them each would cost 20 Renown (Courser, 2H spear and light armor). That would make me loose Renown. 10R = 70 Renown 5K = 50 Renown == 120 Renown /// 5 Adventurers = 100 Renown

That would suit my Character more: he is the leader of a military part of the Radiant Cross that still fights on horse so basically I don't need the order retainers and Knights
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:50

This is something Vinson is interested in doing as well.

What do the rest of you think about this?

There are two aspects of concern in my opinion: 1) This could become too complex for new players trying to take it all in. 2) If we do something like 'you start with 250 renown and nothing else' we may end up with PCs that have lots of cool stuff... but are not effective enough to achieve much in the RP itself, and thus not earn any renown to improve their situation.

These are not absolute impediments by any means, but they are concerns.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 6:59

You could split it up that you have 50 renown for your stuff and a separate 120 Renown for troops. And then just give the newcomers the predetermined set of 10 Retainers and 5 Knights. If they want something else they will have to ask.

Of course you could also spent your 50 "private renown" for troops but that would leave you very weak ...
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:02

I imagine the extra troops would more than make up for the personal weaknesses.

What do the rest of you think about the idea though? Instead of free stuff, we just start with so much renown. Possibly some of it would be earmarked for troops or equipment or such.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:12

So long as there is a clear difference between "Troop Allocation" and "Private Allocation" I think this would work. I would state however that you get 5 Knights and 10 Retainers OR 120 Renown for troops.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys

Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:22

Yeah, I like Pyschozoa's idea for it too. A set amount of renown would be good, but I think some general stuff has to be added in (order weapons that are distributed, of course)

I revised my bio to include the new renown rules
Back to top Go down
Sir Lucius

Sir Lucius

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:27

What exactly does 120 renown buy you? (I haven't looked closely enough at the new renown points.) I kind of like what Mordred suggested so long as the 120 renown is roughly equal to the 5 Knights and 10 Retainers, obviously. But it definitely needs to be separate from the equipment. That said, I'm not particularly biased to what we have now or substituting the 120 renown.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:30

I like my idea as well =)

should we wait for Jing Ming to voice his opinion as well? The speed at which things are changing right now I rather wait until everything is clear ...

120 Renown buys you 6 Adventurers with 2h Spears, a Courser and light armor

6 Adventurers = 60 RP
6 2h Spears = 60 RP (75% discount because they are companions) 20 Renown
6 Light Armor = 60 RP (75% discount because they are companions) 20 Renown
6 Coursers = 60 RP (75% discount because they are companions) 20 Renown

Or

10 Mettenheim Forlorn Hope

Or

1 Barque

Or

10 Barclay Conquistadores and one Order Knight

Last edited by Psychozoa on 16.02.13 7:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:31

120 Renown = 5 Knights and 10 Retainers.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:31

So how about we include the free equipment... a weapon, armor, courser, and then do a 120 Renown specifically for troops, and 50 Renown that may be spent on anything?

We could do a flat 170 Renown for anything too. My fear with this is that since we haven't done the first event yet, we don't know the minimum number of troops that are necessary to have an impact. Obviously we have some control through GMing, but we all know that these types of things take on a life of their own...

And yes, we should wait for Jing Ming, or at least a true majority of people, to post their views on the topic. We don't want to have to rework our renown a third time...
Back to top Go down
Sir Lucius

Sir Lucius

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:39

Isabel Tenorio wrote:
We could do a flat 170 Renown for anything too.

Anything? I essentially agree with everything else that you said, but this sounds like it would undo the recent changes to renown (on the equipment side). If I didn't misinterpret what you said, I would object to this. Equipment and starting troops should be kept separate in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 7:44

The flat 170 would mean that you're not obligated to spend anything on troops. Though realistically, you would have to purchase some. Maybe you'd only want 5 knights or some such. I suppose I'm just complicating the discussion with this, so forget it. >.>

Where we stand right now with this discussion is we begin with the same equipment as the current rules say, 50 renown to be spent as we please, and 120 renown to be spent only on troops.

Discuss!

Oh... this 50 extra renown would maintain the same properties as now. IE, it may be spent on an economic asset if that is what is in your bio, despite the asset normally costing like 75. Same thing for masterwork weapons, etc.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 8:39

Since Jing Ming is going to be gone now, let's just go with this renown system.

120 Renown that may only be spent on troops. 50 Renown that may be spent on anything. That 50 Renown may be used for the same higher-priced goods as before... including either a Masterwork Sword or Lordly Armor. I will edit that when we're ready.

That is, unless there are objections, or better ideas? <,<

Also, currently we have Large Shield and Small Shield. There is a small cost difference, but otherwise the large shield is superior totally. Should it have a -1 speed penalty to balance out it's larger size?
Back to top Go down
Sir Lucius

Sir Lucius

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 8:48

I'm not sure if I like the idea of allowing the 50 renown for equipment to be used for anything, but I will defer to the majority because I honestly don't have a legitimate reason to be against it (plus I am a newbie here!). I'd be okay with either really.

As for the shield, there definitely should be a penalty. Right now there's really no reason to not pick the Large Shield.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty16.02.13 8:51

The main reason for that 50 renown to be spent on anything is for an Economic Asset or Village... if it is necessary in the background of the character. Additionally, some may prefer to have extra troops since they have basic equipment already. For instance someone who picks mostly adventurers will have very few troops, and might want to pick up a few extra knights or retainers as fodder.

Those are my thoughts anyway, but it could be disallowed for troops, or we could skip the Asset/Village part. (I'd like to at least keep the latter in, for those characters that 'need' it.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Renown Discussion
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next