A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Character Creation (Discussion)

Go down 
+17
Sir Nickolas
Laisha
Evedas
Alexandria1
Mesor
Dame Rivatha Thunion
Mordred
Arcanum
Pravenstern
Aodh
Isabel Tenorio
Albion Bryton
Sigwald
Jing Ming
Psychozoa
Klaus Witz
William Alatin III
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
William Alatin III

William Alatin III

Character Creation (Discussion) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty13.02.13 2:39

Since you wrote we could post drafts here, I will Smile I would love to hear feed back, but i must warn you that it is full or grammatical mistakes and poor writing, but I need someone to check and see if I am allowed to write all this as it encroaches on the lore category.
It is also not done, I have yet to add William Nathaniel Alatin III.

And finally this is what I imagine the anthem of Ravenstern to sound somewhat like- www .youtube.com/watch?v=EZZSTiHbNps
(apparently I cannot post links for 7 days so I will just cheat and just put a space)

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Klaus Witz

Klaus Witz

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:07

When you say point, do you mean trait "slot"? So if Klaus was an exceptional swordsman, he would be Average Swordsman, Good Swordsman, Exceptional Swordsman, Hardy, Strong?
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:12

Adventurer: basically the most generic class. You can specialize in up to three weapons, instead of only one, as happens with all the other Backgrounds (except the warlord). You may forsake three free traits for one free quality item (a super keen sword, a rare piece of armor, an expensive cloak, a good horse, etc.).

does this mean I can choose 3 weapons and have already good proficiency in them?
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:13

Yep, it means slot.

In order to be a master swordsman, Klaus would also have to pick

good (swords)
exceptional (swords)
swordmaster

The average (sword) is free.

EDIT:

Quote :
Adventurer: basically the most generic class. You can specialize in up to three weapons, instead of only one, as happens with all the other Backgrounds (except the warlord). You may forsake three free traits for one free quality item (a super keen sword, a rare piece of armor, an expensive cloak, a good horse, etc.).

does this mean I can choose 3 weapons and have already good proficiency in them?
OOPS, sorry, I forgot about that part about the weapons. So, adventurers, please ignore my ignorance: you are allowed to have "good" proficiency with any three weapons. I'll just ask you to indicate that clearly in your sheet.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:16

thx and good night =)
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:17

saeros, can you take a look at my stats/traits as well? Besides the 'master swordsman' trait I might have missed a few things.
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:20

Yep, I recall missing you, ravis, vinson and william at least. But we've all just experienced what happens when I make calculations while sleepy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty14.02.13 12:21

Jing Ming wrote:
Yep, I recall missing you, ravis, vinson and william at least. But we've all just experienced what happens when I make calculations while sleepy Very Happy

Well, better get some sleep first then. Wink There's no hurry.
Back to top Go down
Albion Bryton

Albion Bryton

PostSubject: Character Creation   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 9:37

I'm new. I'm trying to create a character, but I don't get it. There are no core stats or anything? Just write bio/back story and pick an order? How will I know my stats?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty16.02.13 9:42

Stats are largely determined through your traits, and to a lesser extent your Order. Some Orders have extra wound points, others do not.

After you've worked out your traits, one of the more experienced people here will help you work out what your stats are. If they aren't what you wanted, you can change your traits if you're so inclined.

Welcome, by the way!
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 2:01

If I'm a Scout would I get set traits for being a Scout like Horseman, Charger, Horse Archery, Survivalist and such?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:22

"Scout: “Exceptional” in bow, crossbow, or spear. Extremely fast rider. Can track, forage"

Jing Ming is the expert on these, since he wrote them, but he is gone for a few days.

I interpret this to mean that you get the following traits for free, in addition to your three free traits:

Good Proficiency in Bow/Spear/Crossbow (pick one)
Exceptional Proficiency in the above.
Fast Rider
Tracker
Forager

Actually, considering that these are 9 points worth of traits, it would be waaaay too excessive to take three free traits. Let's just say one free trait. I still say one free trait because of the potential need to take Noble, Commoner, Pyromaniac, etc. I won't say that there should be a rule restricting your use of that one free trait, unless others things this is -that- overpowered. (It is a bit OP...)

Edit: Okay, that is still 5 trait points. One free point would still put this at 6 traits. For context: We decided that Adventurer having 6 free traits was too many. That said, Forager and Tracker are not quite the same as Charger or Strong. What do the rest of you think about this one? Remember that we aren't trying to balance them strictly.... some sense of balance is still required, obviously.

Last edited by Isabel Tenorio on 17.02.13 4:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:25

Note that the wording indicates that you can get the good/exceptional skill only into a single weapon type.

I think the player should pick the traits himself. Maybe give a single free trait out of the last three, though.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:27

Oh, right. Thank you, Pravenstern!

So that is far less overpowered. I will edit my original post and re-comment there. >.>
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:30

Yeah that makes sense, and I just asked about Horsemen and survivalist rather than fast riding and foraging because those are already traits listed.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:37

Scout has sparked a wider point for me.

Is Adventurer supposed to be the top-power or easiest 'difficulty setting' of the backgrounsd here? Obviously it's the most versatile, with 5 traits and all of them player-chosen. I suppose my question is whether 5 traits is the rough maximum we're looking at. Scout, with three free traits, would be less versatile than Adventurer as a starting point. Most likely that means it would be nominally more powerful. Is that acceptable to everyone, or is Adventurer our reference point for 'strongest?'
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:41

I think 2 would be good because that makes him a powerful but very one specialized. While the Adventuror is more versatile and Jack of all trades. but I'm biased because I'm a scout Smile
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:44

I think Adventurer should be the embodiment of versatility, giving you a bunch of traits and a couple of proficiencies to customize the character. However, other classes would give you non-trait advantages in addition to setting some of your traits. Take for example priests or nobles who would have ome other benefits due to their background. Or scout would give the player greater ability in tracking and foraging without the traits, but getting them would mean that the player is very experienced in that kind of things.

Or the adventurer could be the easy setting, I don't particularly mind.
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:48

My only issue with putting them as the easy mode, is that if someone wants to make it a little harder do they have to create a whole new character?

But than again we could use them like Warhammer 40k uses space marines, verses Eldar aspect warriors ( the other backgrounds)
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:51

The difficulty aspect is just the number of traits you start with.

Priests get a free proficiency, and three free traits. Thus they have 4, Adventurers have 5. Admittedly, Foraging and Tracking are not particularly potent traits compared to some others. Though it is all in how you use them. >.>

It could well be similar to Priests having the extra ability to make blessings and such. Forager and Tracker are just listed as traits already, so I included (and counted) them when looking at Scout. If we think of them as a free RPable bonus, then Scout is by no means overpowered.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern

Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:52

If you count the good proficiencies, Adventurer's have 8 traits.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 4:57

Oh, well then.

Scout is not the appropriate point of this conversation then! >.>

Warlord, however, needs changes. It will be getting some though, since Adventurer is better at it in all ways.

Anyway... Um... yeah...
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 5:04

Perhaps we should wait until Jing Ming gets back this is his area of expertise
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 5:06

We won't make any major decisions until the Master of Traits is able to give us his insight.

That doesn't mean you can't share your own thoughts!
Back to top Go down
Aodh

Aodh

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty17.02.13 5:09

Okay just making sure Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Creation (Discussion)   Character Creation (Discussion) Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Creation (Discussion)
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next