A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Renown Discussion

Go down 
+11
Sir Vinson
Arcanum
Mesor
Sir Lucius
Pravenstern
Psychozoa
Jing Ming
Sigwald
Mordred
Ser Varys
Isabel Tenorio
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty16.02.13 8:53

Sorry I meant to add, large shields are not usable when mounted.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty16.02.13 8:54

That seems like a good trade off to me as well.
Back to top Go down
Sir Lucius

Sir Lucius

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty16.02.13 9:00

Isabel Tenorio wrote:
The main reason for that 50 renown to be spent on anything is for an Economic Asset or Village... if it is necessary in the background of the character. Additionally, some may prefer to have extra troops since they have basic equipment already. For instance someone who picks mostly adventurers will have very few troops, and might want to pick up a few extra knights or retainers as fodder.

Those are my thoughts anyway, but it could be disallowed for troops, or we could skip the Asset/Village part. (I'd like to at least keep the latter in, for those characters that 'need' it.)

Oh! That makes sense actually.
Back to top Go down
Mesor
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty17.02.13 15:27

Can I suggest a new trait?

I'd like to add a night fighter trait to the list if I may.
Given that fighting at night or in heavy fog would be extremely difficult and given that my characters preffered combat tactic is to hit the enemy at dawn when the fog is heavy I'd like a trait that would allow it to be effective rather then resulting in my men crashing into each other.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty17.02.13 15:36

I do not see how that could work. It would have to be a personal skill for every man in the unit. Just because you are a commander can see well in the fog or dawn does not mean that your men can too.

It seems to me that the keen senses trait would fit well in this situation for a PC.
Back to top Go down
Mesor
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty17.02.13 15:49

It takes a lot more then just Keen Senses to fight in the darkness without injuring your own men.

I thought a PC trait for it would be much simpler and you can assume he would of trained his own men to do it given the advantage involved in being able to fight in the darkness.
My main reason for wanting it is that I like to play with a lot of tactics and this is one of my best as well as being IC since my character likes to attack out of the fog which requires you to be able to fight without being able to see whats going on around you much like fighting at night does.

So if possible I'd like a trait for it rather then either having to have a negative or everybody being able to fight at night without any clear reason for how they know how to fight in the dark without killing friends.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty22.02.13 14:53

Another new renown question! Fortunately this one is fairly straight forward.

Renown represents all sorts of 'currencies' in the RP. Of course that means money itself, but also fame, political influence, that aura of charisma that makes people follow leaders, etc. So the question is whether renown trading should be allowed. We have Outposts that specify that multiple characters may purchase it together.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty22.02.13 17:36

Whats the exchange rate for renown? Like how many Denars is 1 renown point? Example: During an rp morek and Mattus find a chest full of 3000 denars and drag it back to the Chapter Fortress. How much renown would that be worth? I realize that the fame and acclaim part is hard to measure though.

What kind of renown trading do you mean? Spending?
Back to top Go down
Sir Vinson

Sir Vinson

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty22.02.13 17:56

Mesor wrote:
It takes a lot more then just Keen Senses to fight in the darkness without injuring your own men.

I thought a PC trait for it would be much simpler and you can assume he would of trained his own men to do it given the advantage involved in being able to fight in the darkness.
My main reason for wanting it is that I like to play with a lot of tactics and this is one of my best as well as being IC since my character likes to attack out of the fog which requires you to be able to fight without being able to see whats going on around you much like fighting at night does.

So if possible I'd like a trait for it rather then either having to have a negative or everybody being able to fight at night without any clear reason for how they know how to fight in the dark without killing friends.

This is a great string of questions but probably belongs in the Character Creation Discussion thread. I don't want questions like this to get lost in the renown discussion. I do have an opinion on it but we should keep threads on topic.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty22.02.13 18:28

There is no conversion. Renown represents denars as well as fame and the like... well, it represents whatever you need it to. When you purchase a masterwork sword with renown, you should have a story about how your character acquired it. The most simple version is 'I bought it from a smith in Sarleon.' In that case the renown spent represented denars. Another version is 'The Grandmaster bestowed it upon me for my service to the Order.' In that case renown represented fame or some such.

It represents all of those things which is why this is question rather than a simple GM decision: Money can be traded easily enough, fame, political influence, and the personal charisma that draws knights towards the PC are not things that can be simply traded.

Likely I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. >.>
Back to top Go down
Laisha

Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty22.02.13 18:39

It strikes me as too gamey to make it tradeable. Renown seems to more representative of abstractions than physical objects.
Back to top Go down
http://gamingnnerdery.blogspot.com/
Klaus Witz

Klaus Witz

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty24.02.13 8:47

Maybe allow up to 25% of total, or is that getting too complex? I'd like some trade, but not the full amount (so players can reward other players, or offer some renown in negotiations to sweeten the deal.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa

Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty24.02.13 9:27

I don't like the idea of trading your renown at all. It makes acquiring things too easy. You can just collect a lot of renown from your friends and then buy something big ...
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty24.02.13 9:31

Maybe put a cap on it? 10 renown a month?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty24.02.13 11:08

Alright, we seem to be opposed to a general/free trading of Renown.

Do we allow trading in a small amount? I will say 25 renown per event cycle for the moment, as a 'small amount'. This may change based on how much renown we end up giving per event, and whether 'per event' is the appropriate unit of time.
Back to top Go down
Sir Vinson

Sir Vinson

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty24.02.13 18:04

No concessions. No renown trade. Astraea is against it. So sayeth I.
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 1:17

My position is that items can be traded and sold, but not renown.

Collective effort to acquire/achieve something should be encouraged, though, and not only among members of the same order! I'm thinking about something in the line of team projects in Civilization, but in a smaller scale.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 1:36

Traded and sold... for what? What's to stop Player 1 buying 5 suits of heavy armour, giving those to Player 2, who then sells the suits and cashes in the renown?
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 2:44

Good point. Hacking this system is easy, so no selling of items.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 5:29

So, are we allowing the trade of items? Surely there will be instances of losing/looting/stealing equipment, although likely rare. I don't think troops should be tradeable. They may follow the orders of another knight during the course of an event, but not be permanently traded.

The only other items expensive enough to purchase together are ships, economic assets, and the village track of perks. It's already been noted that outposts can be purchased together. What about these others?
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 5:39

I don't see much of a difference between them. Ships can have more than one owner, as can businesses (my take on economic assets).

Villages might be a tad different, there is usually one head of a village in my mind, a lord/village elder type of person. Though I guess the players could own the land the village is on and have the village elder as a steward type NPC, similar to how it works in game.

As stated in the TW forum post this RP is about the PCs and their retinues, so no, I agree with Isabel, no trading of troops permanently.
Back to top Go down
Dame Rivatha Thunion

Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 6:13

What about gifting items? i think it should be allowed with good RP reason, for example, "thank you kind sir for saving my life, to show my gratitude i gift you my unique super awesome sword"
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 7:03

No
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 8:02

No to gifting items, Aelos?

Part of my problem with villages and renown-pooling is the story behind it. I don't doubt the creative power of all of you, but I can't see a lot of ways to purchase a village within the context of this game. One might marry into the village, inherit from a relative, be appointed by the Supporter, hold it as Order property and thus as the Commander (in Dawn terms), etc. I don't see how multiple people can acquire one together, however.

What do the rest of you think?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty25.02.13 8:06

Treat the village more like a title than an entity. It is the title you are awarded that is lucrative, not the village itself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renown Discussion   Renown Discussion - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Renown Discussion
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next