A Kingdom Divided
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills

Go down 
+2
Arcanum
Isabel Tenorio
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty
PostSubject: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 9:03

As promised one minute ago... the thread on skills and traits.

I think we've all come to the general yet abstract consensus that we should be able to raise weapon skills and gain traits by RPing it successfully. From the GM perspective that isn't helpful at all. We won't ever be fully objective given the nature of this RP, but we have to make that a little more concrete.

Thoughts, ideas?
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 10:16

It will likely have to be left up to the GM discretion, like many things.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 11:09

Should probably have players post up what they aim to get, and then do a peer review to accept / reject / impose terms. Terms meaning things they need to achieve during the next event or they lose it (and are penalised), or renown costs.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 11:16

A kind of wagering Renown is definitely a possibility.

There's also the option of purchasing them directly with renown. Or just relying on GM discretion, although that seems hazy.

More discussion. /command
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 11:32

No purchasing of traits is my vote, earning them is more difficult. 

It's easy to buy a sword, but not so much become silver tounged or a tactitian for example.
Back to top Go down
Sigwald

Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 11:46

I agree with Arcanum,

Earn them, with deeds not coin. (or prestige /whatever)
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 12:21

What I meant was something like this;

Player; "I've been using my sword a lot during the last event, and would like to improve from Proficient to Good"
GMs / Others; That sounds fair, you were in the battle a long time!

Player; "I've been using my sword a lot during the last event, and would like to improve from Proficient to Good"
GMs / Others; Yes... you did use it some, but probably not enough. Spend an additional 10 renown on an instructor.

Player; ""I've been using my sword a lot during the last event, and would like to improve from Proficient to Legendary!!!!!1!!!"
GM's / Others; Errr... no. Eating your meal at the inn with a knife doesn't count.
Player; "But I'll spend 100 renown on it!"
GM's / Others; That would earn you "Exceptional" as you manage to find an excellent instructor to teach you more, but to go higher will require actual combat experience.
Back to top Go down
Jing Ming
Admin
Jing Ming

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 12:31

Spoiler:
This seems reasonable.

I also think the previous suggestion was good. Perhaps players should make somewhat clear in the characters sheets what they aim to achieve. Such as "working towards my mastery of close combat", which would alert GMs to pay attention to any of your actions which could improve close-combat-related traits.

GMs will never be objective enough to know for certain what you are thinking.

And, of course, RPing is also a way to improve whatever your want. You will have  interval of a few Pendorian weeks, which you could use to RP a solo training, a training under an instructor (spend Renown), a trip to somewhere to train under a style master (also spending a bit o Renown), a meeting with your grandmaster detailing your future plains (for silver-tongue or tactician, for instance), a business investment (to consolidate the wealthy trait and gain more related traits), and so on.
Back to top Go down
https://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Mordred
Admin
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty13.10.13 12:55

Jing Ming wrote:
[spoiler]
Perhaps players should make somewhat clear in the characters sheets what they aim to achieve. Such as "working towards my mastery of close combat", which would alert GMs to pay attention to any of your actions which could improve close-combat-related traits.
That's an excellent idea.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty15.10.13 5:08

That idea seems appropriate and doable to me.

Does anyone have a concern with it or a different idea?
Back to top Go down
Methodius Marci

Methodius Marci

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty16.10.13 0:59

Sounds solid, should there be a cap on how many per event? otherwise i can see people grabbing too many and wed be back at square one.
Back to top Go down
Arcanum

Arcanum

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty16.10.13 4:38

So where do we post "peer review" increase requests?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills   Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills Empty

Back to top Go down

Gaining Traits and Boosting Skills
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Kingdom Divided :: Pendor :: King's Hall-
Jump to: