A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aftermath Reborn

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 1:13

Ok, I have been thinking about this quite a bit and have some proposals. If this concept interests you, I'll take it further.

First of all, the map to colonise;

Spoiler:

Didn't think I'd make it too easy now did you? There is an actual map under there, but it is currently shrouded. Only I will know the full layout at the start.

As you can see there are three starting zones, one for Mettenheim, one for Pendor and one for Barclay. Players choose which nation they wish to represent.

Nations are simply the starting location, a starting trait and their available troops - it is not a diplomatic thing. Players are independent of each other, and are free to attack those of the same nation. There are no laws here beyond what the Players choose to implement (and enforce!)

Terrain is as follows;
Grassland
Forest
Swamp
Hills
Mountains
Shallows / Ocean
Anchorage (Ultra-fertile grassland and the only places ships can dock without a harbour)
Islands

Units will draw from Aftermath, so we will use the Militia / Regular / Knights (with different strengths and weaknesses for the three different factions). The Pendor faction may hire Knighthood Order troops as a 4th tier unit, but they will be EXPENSIVE.

Resources... now this is where I need some input. Initially I wanted to keep it simple with just Materials, Gold, Food and Trade Goods, however to make it more strategic and to encourage trade between factions this might want to be expanded to Wood, Stone, Iron, Trade Goods, Food, Luxuries, Gold.

Building; will be in the game, but far simplified over what we had on Aftermath. Think Castles / Harbours / Factories / Towns, building slots will be limited making Players decide how they want to go about building their provinces up - this must be balanced with exploring and maintaining what they have.

Influence; is out, it's too complex and doesn't really fit here.

Natives; will be in, not sure how yet but they will.

Player Traits; in, but not yet decided how to do this, probably something akin to Total War where a player chooses 2-3 traits at start and can then

Exploration; the map start blank, Players use "Adventurerer" units to explore the world. Adventurers also decide the resources present in each tile (scale of 1-4). Barclay's national trait will probably be to allow Adventurers a single reroll to this number (as an example).

Shipping; Trade, piracy, shipping are all in. Trade ships are used to send Trade Goods home, and to buy new units, trade ships can be intercepted by privateers, and privateers fought with patrolling warships. Navies will be important!

GM's / Hosting; I will draw on a player a week to do the number crunching (everything will be public, its just much easier!). Otherwise hosting shouldn't be required, its a sandbox game. I will remain as a non-player impartial adjudicator.

Inactive Players; those who drop out will just become unplayed natives which can be conquered. Not yet decided how to deal with new players entering.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 1:46

I really like the idea so far.

Firstly i think it should be done in turns to simplify thing's, i guess one turn per week would be good if everyone do their actions very fast we could have second(or even third) turn done the same week.

Event's: I am rather sure that's something you guys taught about, and i will also expand what i said before. We should certainly have event's which could have various decisions, with various outcomes. To make them more interesting we could have big event's which one player can't handle(Huge vanskerry attack on some wealthy merchant let's say) and 3 players agree to help, but at some point they learn that this merchant is heavily investing in slave trade(each learn privately trough spies/friends or public knowledge) and each player get's a chance to withdraft their forces and others learn about it only when it is too late.

Village:Owned Stag's Heart.

Public Knowledge about Rivatha:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 1:58

@Mordred:

What's the bakground? Pendorians fleeing from the wars? Being chased by the king on the sea? Expedition gone wrong?

Will players be able to create their own ideologies, factions and/or orders?

Is this a strategy game?

What the relation with Aftermath? Is this a colony of some sort? What year is this?

I'll PM you later today with some ideas, but it would help to know a bit of your system beforehand.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 3:43

Perhaps a poll should be made for those interested, so that we'll know which type(s) people want to play. We can probably support two RPs, provided we keep the admins/GMs separate for each, but I doubt we could support three and keep them all reasonably healthy.

I think the options are:

Colonization-type, (Nobles or Orders, it seems more minor in this type.)

PoP3/Aftermath timeframe, Orders.

PoP3/Aftermath, CK-style.

Are these correct and the only ones?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 4:34

I won't be able to GM in the new Aftermath, but I'll gladly help with I can: making rules, creating lore, giving ideas. You know.

Back to top Go down
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 8:00

A poll would probably make the decision easier. Even though I like Mordred's idea, it seems just abit to far removed from what Aftermath was originally created for. But I would like to see everyone else' opinion so a poll would be useful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 9:52

Depending on which style is chosen (Or perhaps just the game set up), I'd love to participate as a player.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   06.06.13 12:52

Depending on which is chosen, I am happy to be the master rulesmith once again, though I have no real interest in hosting. Participating as a player might be interesting though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   07.06.13 2:02

Ok, thinking about the Nobles setting I've had a few ideas (just so you have fair idea on differences between CK mode and Colonisation mode)

It is set right after the Noble War, much of the aristocracy was wiped out, and the Orders are seriously weakened (if not wiped out in some cases). As such there are some major power vacuums for ambitious minor nobles to step into.

Now I can envision two scenarios from this, one at Ducal level, one at County level.

Ducal; King Mordred has disappeared, leaving Queen Gudrun and the 10 year old Prince Valdemarr in charge. By Pendor law, a woman may not rule, and Valdemarr has not reached his majority yet - as such Gudrun must appoint a regent - this is the title that Players are struggling for.

County; With the destruction of Poinsbruk, the sacking of Marleons and the harsh winter just passing in the Steppe, there are great opportunities in the east of Pendor for those willing to seize them. The monarchs have declared that new ducal titles are up for grabs, for those who can prove their ability to maintain them.

Now this is a decision to be made - do we play at the County or Ducal level? (Ie are players Counts or Dukes?)... if we choose the CK2 system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   07.06.13 9:35

I wonder, could we create a set up where both Orders and nobles are playable if we selected a PoP3/Aftermath reboot rather than the island game?

Either way, I think it would need to focus on PCs interacting rather than NPCs being involved very much. The former requires an active moderator, while the latter needs full-scale GMing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   07.06.13 9:50

Yes on both counts. I had been planning to include one or two Order players with the Noble setting, they would basically be militarily very powerful but economically reliant on the Noble players, who would essentially use them as elite mercenaries / sledge hammers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   12.06.13 10:27

Im starting to wonder if we would be better making new characters instead of using old ones, and then keeping our old characters as NPCs that continue to influence the world in some way?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   12.06.13 10:33

That depends on its new focus, doesn't?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   12.06.13 10:59

I believe the poll shows the way the winds blowing. The idea of RPing as feuding nobles could created an interesting future for Aftermath.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   12.06.13 11:02

There was an idea of using dynasties in some way. If this happens you could RP the relatives of your old characters.

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   12.06.13 11:09

Nobles it is, not had a chance to sit down with it yet, Vinland has been more absorbing than I expected (and playing Project Zomboid admittedly).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   13.06.13 11:57

Ok, as we have 11 votes for the game type, which were the same number as voted for Aftermath to come back, I've begun working on the Count version of Reborn (but as the Ducal system was so popular, I will try to incorporate elements of it, like the Court Titles, most likely on a regional basis).

Here is the map;
Spoiler:

Red tiles are owned by Mystmountain Raiders and cannot be selected
Blue tiles are playable. Blue tiles which border red ones will likely be raided often!

The next step for me is to create the economics system. It will be purely based on a static tile value, modified by your character traits. I will also get some traits together and a character system made so that you can start making your nobles. 

A couple of queries for you guys;

1. I have not yet decided how to allocate who starts where. Do you want (a) to have a say in it, or shall I  (b) allocate myself depending on your character choices, or finally (c) do a random lottery? 

2. Where should we host it? The old Aftermath boards, or shall I create some new ones for Reborn? The old ones will be horrifically cluttered if we go with the former.

3. Should tiles be equal in value, or do you want asymmetrical gameplay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   13.06.13 13:36

1. I would say random lottery. I think that way we wont take forever deliberating on where would be the best economical/politcal/defenseable position to begin (The hardest and most stressful part about
Settlers of Catan is choosing your starting position after all!)

Spoiler:

2. If there is an easy way to clean up the Aftermath board then I would say host it there. It would be good to have all that source material and old RP to build upon.

3. Referring back to Catan, NO! Tiles should have different values, probably determined by the role of a dice or something. That way we can all enjoy fighting over the most profitable areas! Smile

Oh btw, in terms of time scale, when would this new Aftermat be set in relation to the disasterous King's Council?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   13.06.13 14:04

Kharad Moriendor wrote:
Oh btw, in terms of time scale, when would this new Aftermat be set in relation to the disasterous King's Council?

Right after the Noble Wars have decimated both the Nobility and Orders, so a year or two after.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   13.06.13 14:08

On a related note, I consider the timeline we have for Shadow War to be fanon's fanon.  If you wish to use any of it, go for it!  But sooner or later it will be impossible to keep the two RPs integrated into the same timeline.  Cool events will (hopefully!) occur there that we simply can't use here without substantive retcons, even if it doesn't happen at the start.  Fortunately we should be so far in the future that it takes a while to reach that stage, but just in case!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   14.06.13 0:13

Edit, just re-read the AKD timeline which I'll use for this. This starts a week after the Marleons Charter was signed, so the Noble Wars lasted roughly 4 years (so it's 4 years after Aftermath).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow-Seeker

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   14.06.13 4:37

For location, perhaps back at the old boards, but we would need to clean up quite a bit. Perhaps we should test it here and then see how it goes.

1. I would like the random lottery bit, but maybe the others would want to pick out a tile.

3. Tiles should be unequal in value, the fun part will be fighting over the best tiles!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   14.06.13 6:43

I've been looking at the Aftermath forums for a way of clearing them up, but beyond spending several days doing it I cannot see a good way of achieving it, and I really do not want to put that kind of work in for it.

I would propose opening a new board up, and moving Reborn and Kelreden there (hopefully get some more traffic for you guys too) instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Nickolas

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   14.06.13 10:59

I'll be fine with a new board.

Also, transferring the Kelredan event to the new boards would be greatly appreciated. Ever since Iskar's departure and the lack of activity, it's struggling to stay alive. I don't know how long it'll last, but seeing a conclusion to the mini-event would be nice.

“It is every man’s fate to eventually die. I seek only to speed up that process.” - Sir Javier Kristoph Doyle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   15.06.13 11:20

Mordred wrote:

Here is the map;
Spoiler:

(Hopefully I'm not typing in the quote box here, but I'm afraid I am...)
Anyway, in looking at the map a little more, I'm focusing towards the coastal territories.  I'm thinking about the naval side (shocking, I know!), or rather the likely lack there of.

Only three hexes have sea access.  Even if the other border hexes were added to increase that number (they include Marleons and Rane, which is why I suspect Mordred set the borders up this way) they would only have two more... so 5/14+Raiderhexes would be able to play the sea game.  Is this something you guys care about at all?  Despite my desire to say "That just makes them much more valuable hexes!" I'm leaning more towards supporting the removal of a naval side to keep things simple... at most, include transport boats that can traverse the river, but no need for naval combat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   

Back to top Go down

Aftermath Reborn
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next