A Kingdom Divided

A RPG based on the setting of PoP 3, taking place roughly a century after the end of the unification wars

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aftermath Reborn

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 7:59

Alright guys, a few of us here have been discussing plans to get Aftermath back on its feet. We understand all too well that there were a lot of core problems with the RP that needed to be solved, and that these problems drove many of you away from it. But I also believe that there is still a fair amount of love for the olf forum, and that several people would love to see Aftermath continued.

Therefore this thread is to rekindle that interest and for any that wish to participate, and for ideas to posted about how to make things better than before. Izzy, Pravenstern, Varys and myself already have some good ideas formulating, but we need as much input from you guys as possible! And remember, we wish for Aftermath and Shadow War to remain as unique as possible so that more interest can be attracted to both.

Heres a good wee idea that Izzy sent me:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigwald

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 8:11

I loved Aftermath, but it always died during the roleplay events. The only really succesful event was the Throne Room and that caused many to quit and eventually ruined the whole thing.

But, If I understand correctly, Aftermath Reborn will be about the Metagame only?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 8:15

Hm...that sounds a bit more like a Balance of Power type of game...

It's not supposed to make complete sense:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gamingnnerdery.blogspot.com/
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 8:20

Well we aint sure yet. Were really just brainstorming ideas right now. Keeping the RP side of the story alive is crucial, but so to is recreating the metagame into something more easily managable and simple to understand.

Oh forgot to mention, as Pravenstern has suggested to me, a revitalised Aftermath would have the Griffons as an NPC Order only. They are Kings men afterall, and dont have much flexibility in their beliefs. To compensate, and to satisfy many a request, the Dragons would then take their place as a PC Order.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 8:38

Well, my suggestions haven't changed much: make Aftermath either a RP-only game, a wargame, or a complex civilization-like game using the Metagame system. I think any of those would be very interesting. The problem is if you decide to make it all of those.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate. I'd like to use the little free time I have to work on A Kingdom Divided. We will try to make a full story arc, spanning three major events besides the prologue, before beginning to think about closing this forum.

...that, and finally play Skyrim again. It's finally winter here, so my CPU can handle the game without overheating. Playing it above 20° ambient temperature means death.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://popshadowwar.forumotion.com
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 9:42

Ugh, I had been getting a lot of work done till this came up! Obviously I am (still) very attached to Aftermath because most of the ruleset it is based on was my creation.

I agree it should be transformed into either a character based RPG like AKD, or a strategy game (of any type). I would be quite happy to see it go through a suitable revision to achieve either purpose.

The means of doing this though is what is causing me problems, because regardless of the choice, it will mean a significant re-write, and I have become well aware about a few basic facts from my work here on AKD and on Aftermath; I like rules, and I like them to be concise, but I am well aware that this can get overwhelming.

I'm going to have to put my hands up here and say "I don't have a bloody idea!" about whether I want to get involved or not, there are too many variables involved, and I am afraid that my influence will once again put people off in the medium/long term.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 9:57

I'll just echo what everyone has said about either a game or a RP. Aftermath had both aspects, but they didn't mix terribly well. I'd be happy to be play the metagame if it were easily handled... it just seems like a fresh hell to keep track of those calculations largely by hand. The system I just suggested would be a RPed war/influence game, withstory 'management' but hopefully allowing the plots to be player generated for the most part, as opposed to a more traditionally GMed RP like Shadow War.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Nickolas

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:00

Having Aftermath be reborn would be nice, partly because it may get some traffic in the minor event, Struggle for Kelredan, again. (That event is what got me to start the PoP roleplays in the first place.)

I'll leave Aftermath to those who participated in it, mostly because as an outsider I probably should have no influence on it. However, on the Struggle for Kelredan front a part of me desires to play a more active role in keeping it alive.

“It is every man’s fate to eventually die. I seek only to speed up that process.” - Sir Javier Kristoph Doyle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:02

That brings to mind another question!

Should Aftermath focus on the Orders, or the nobility? As cool as the Orders are (okay fine, they're the best part about PoP...) I often felt like Aftermath would be better suited for PCs playing the nobility.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:04

A Crusader Kings in Pendor? Interesting...

One thing I would strongly suggest on though, is if you did do Orders keep the number of playable Orders down. Players on both Aftermath and AKD seem to prefer co-operation than competition. I'm talking no more than 3-4 with the current playerbase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:08

That's a good idea.

Terribly difficult to accomplish if you're me and want to have every Order in, regardless! tongue

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:15

Quote :
A Crusader Kings in Pendor?
Gold.

Back to top Go down
Sir Lucius

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:18

Mordred wrote:
A Crusader Kings in Pendor?

Someone should make this as a mod!

=D

Current Units
: (1) Lucius + 16 Dawn Knights

"By the will of Astraea, you are condemned to judgment by fire!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:25

The problem with PCs all being nobles is that it would mean effectively starting a new RP. The whole Aftermath save for Kelredan was about the orders, and suddenly switching the whole theme seems somewhat stupid to me. Although, I admit that the idea sounds awesome on paper.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:34

You just haaaaave to bring in simple truths, don'tya Pravenstout? Mad

I suppose the question would become what level of game do you want? As much pure RP as possible, a game that grounds the RP to assist in player-driven events, or a game with RP over it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:35

So you want D&D, Crusader Kings, Fallen Enchantress, Diablo, or Civilization?

Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:36

I prefer EU: Rome.

Building slave empires is fun.

(I will stop spamming now, Khadar. Don't wave the banhammer at me!)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:42

Problems with Aftermath;
* The King - It was a problem with just one person at the top, and with all the power they possessed. Somewhat mitigated later with the "King System" but certainly not perfect.
* The Nobility - 1 player playing as some 20-30odd characters, dealing with the problems of all the others.
* Number of Orders - Players should be either entirely individual or sharing responsibilities within a group. Too many multiple entities with too many differing objectives.
* GMs being Players - As much as we like to pretend we can do both, honestly it is just too much work, and it is far fairer on the actual players if the GMs have no personal in-game agenda of their own.
* Diplomacy - One player handled the inter-Order diplomacy for multiple others.
* Grandmasters - Having one player representing a number of other Players was a bloody stupid idea. Completely curtailed Player choice, and probably did more damage than any other issue (and for the record MM's idea, not mine and one of my main problems with Aftermath that I could not solve without starting from scratch).
* Hosting - Hosts got burned out thanks to the amount of responsibility and pressure. Especially when untested / trained / inexperienced.
* Escalation - An issue I constantly struggled with was one war draining the resources of an entire Order, it should be more about border skirmishes than all-out war, or at least make war profitable for both parties.
* Complexity - Aftermath took 2 GM's working for numerous hours a week to crunch and input all the orders. Not to mention the time taken by the Grandmasters to create the orders in the first place.

We actually broached an idea for a future Major Event which would clear up some of these issues. Basically a new land was discovered, and each Order had their own interests to pursue on it, completely out of the jurisdiciton of the Nobility and King.

My suggestion would be to embrace the PoP4 timeline, namely the Renaissance. Introduce a new landmass / island, and have each Player play as a Noble working to exploit that territory. This removes the King, the Voice of the Nobility, the issue of popular / unpopular Orders, and potentially even hoster burnout (its basically a sandbox game).

I think the rules for Aftermath would suit this quite well with a little tweaking.

EDIT - That suggestion would be for a strategy game though, wouldn't suit an RP so well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jing Ming
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 10:53

Quote :
We actually broached an idea for a future Major Event which would clear up some of these issues. Basically a new land was discovered, and each Order had their own interests to pursue on it, completely out of the jurisdiciton of the Nobility and King.
Cool. Before I met Isabel, my plan for an alternative RPG was exactly that story.

Quote :
My suggestion would be to embrace the PoP4 timeline, namely the Renaissance. Introduce a new landmass / island, and have each Player play as a Noble working to exploit that territory.
I support this idea completely. I'd be willing to work with you on that as well, even if only sporadically.

Now if it's a frontier/colonization game I'd like to watch it closely, as it's a old psychological project of mine (SMAC's idea). Yes, my lab rats, do play.

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 11:04

Yeah I love frontier games like that too, used to run some tabletop Warhammer games on that premise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 11:54

Diablo? Just how in the hell are we gonna turn a text based RPG into a Hack'n'Slash? Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 11:57

Simple, add a quick-time event click counter to any battle. One with highest count wins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharad Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 12:08

Mordred wrote:
Simple, add a quick-time event click counter to any battle. One with highest count wins.

Your realise this has to be done now?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 13:18

Razz

Going back on point though, what were you guys thinking for Aftermath? Do you want to have a go at tweaking the rules yourselves and creating your own experience, or do you want me to have a go at creating that strategy game scenario I mentioned? I am good with either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dame Rivatha Thunion

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   05.06.13 23:08

I like colonizing and playing as nobles idea.

I think roleplaying should be involved and I would love for it to have Stainless Steel(Mod for medieval 2 total war) trait system. I would see it like this: Let's say dozen of Dragon Knights approach you and beg you to save them from some faction, who in return ask you to give knights to them.If you chose to help knight's you lose reputation with said faction(if some sort of factions are implemented) but you gain knight's which would work as increase to influence, and combat power. If you side with cultist's you get some money or some cultist's influence(if they are faction, faction influence if they are not you get a trait which could have various benefits) or some cultist's by your side.

Village:Owned Stag's Heart.

Public Knowledge about Rivatha:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermath Reborn   

Back to top Go down

Aftermath Reborn
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
A Kingdom Divided :: Pendor :: General Discussion (OOC)-
Jump to: